torsdag 19 december 2013

The comments

Unfortunately I have been unable to post comments on my fellow students blogs. However I have attempted to answer questions posted to my blog and that is what you will find below.


Hi! It has taken me a while to answer this, because honestly I found this part of Russells arguments a bit confusing. As I understood it, Russell argues that we don't know everything by experience, but we should still be able to describe and transfer knowledge that we have not verified first hand. Russell then introduces a ton of names that I find quite confusing, but what's important for us, who are interested in knowledge, is that Russell finds that we can describe something, that is true, without actually knowing the real object first hand. Therefore we can transfer knowledge through history, without constantly having to rediscover it.
I really liked that example Russell used. To me, it sounds like Russell is saying that sometimes philosophers try to contradict what should be obvious to everyone, and that is kind of stupid.
I agree with you that in philosophy, (and in science in general really), what conclusions we reach are usually influenced by our prejudice and ideas. This is an old problem and therefore I found it interesting how Russell implied that some things are so obvious, everybody should get it. I may be interpreting him wrongly, and I'm not sure if I agree, but I really like the thought. 
From http://dm2572-jakob.blogspot.se/2013/11/theme-4-quantitative-research.html#comments:

 I believe we all agree, isn't that nice :)
Though I would like to add that a skilled researcher should be able to phrase the questions in a way that minimizes the risk of results being consistently exaggerated, for example.
From http://dm2572-jakob.blogspot.se/2013/12/theme-6-qualitative-and-case-study.html#comments:
Hi!
I'd like to elaborate on the use of focus groups. I helped set up a focus group with teachers at KTH when doing my bachelors thesis. One of the reasons for doing a focus group as opposed to interviews was that we was hoping the discussions in the group would bring up points we would not have thought about asking in an interview. In general I believe focus groups can be a good way to understand how a group operates, maybe at the cost of a more nuanced perspective each individual group member could provide in an interview. 
Hi!The thing about this study is that the researchers was looking mostly at the thought process of the Facebook users interviewed. I believe those kinds of results could be difficult to obtain from a questionnaire study.On the other hand, a questionnaire or another type of quantitative study could be a great way to follow this up, and insure the results hold up when looked at from a different perspective. 
The thing they discovered was that many of their informants were directing a lot of attention to managing their social networks, for example categorizing their contacts into lists. They realized this area had received little attention in other studies and redirected their study to also include these types of reasoning. What I would like to know, however, is what their study looked like before doing this. 
I think, in general, this is some kind of a best case scenario where the researchers know their field well enough to realize what they are observing has not been very studied. It's probably a good idea to at least try to keep an eye out for situations like this when doing you own research... 
 

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar