torsdag 12 december 2013

After theme 5

In this course, I find this reflecting posts quite interesting. Some weeks I feel like I have a lot of things I want to say, other weeks I don’t feel I have anything to say that has not already been mentioned in a lecture. This week is a first however, as I feel more confused about the theme now than before studying it. This probably has to do, at least in part, with the fact that I have been focusing a lot of my attention to the other course I’m taking, Future of Media, as we have our final presentation today, (thursday).

One thing I hadn’t really considered while preparing for this week, was that the act of designing can be research in itself, which was the case with actDresses. I believe that realization was quite important for me as I notice thinking about research as only evaluation can be a bit limiting. I notice however that research through design poses its own set of challenges. I am not sure if it’s due to the nature of the research or my own inexperience with reading design research, but when reading the paper on actDresses I remember I had trouble finding any definite conclusions or a clear message to take away.

One other very interesting and thought provoking thing I learnt, (or re-learnt), this week was the importance of knowing and keeping statistical methods fresh in your memory. Haibo Li dedicated a segment of his lecture on the useage of ANOVA, analysis of variance, as a tool for researchers to prove that a study has shown some significant results. I have studied probability theory and statistics, but that was a few years ago and it was a bit frightening to realize how much I had forgotten. From his lecture, I learnt that understanding statistics, and knowing how statistical measurements work is very important for me, not only as I will soon write my masters thesis, but also just to be able to correctly understand and evaluate many scientific papers.

2 kommentarer:

  1. I had the same feeling of hitch in grasping in which terms design could be defined research.
    I think the main difficulty in this concept is that we tend to confuse the word "design" with the meaning we mean today, as a branch of art, but the primitive meaning is to define features of an object satisfying particular requirements, meant to accomplish a task.
    Moreover the practical nature of this research field un-focuses our judgement on what the term "theory" strictly means.

    SvaraRadera
  2. Hi Jakob! I also have the same question - can we consider the act of designing as the research in itself. I think no, because as I understood design research has the aim to create product or service to satisfy human needs and it should answer three questions - how the design process will proceed, what needs the design will address and what form the resulting design will take. So the desing process is only a part of design research.

    SvaraRadera